Thursday, June 4, 2009

Motivation


After a playing frisbee



My internship is over in 2 weeks. I am so unbelievably ready to be done. Its dragging on and on. I am actually really enjoying clinical nutrition more than expected. Its very challenging and surprisingly rewarding. I have been pleasantly surprised at how receptive people are to learning about nutrition. Not everyone is, which is understandable when they are worried about their illness. For the past two weeks I have been doing "staff relief". I act as a dietitian for the most part and then at the end of the day I review my patients with the teaching dietitian. Im relieved to be enjoying this, considering that this is the easiest area for a dietitian for find work, however right now working for free is getting very old.

This past month has been tough. Not seeing Ben since March and living in this tiny apartment alone is getting old right along with my internship. Ive been less motivated to cook and work on projects and injuring myself 3 weeks ago hasnt helped anything. In the past few days Ive been feeling motivated again and am pulling myself out of my slump, knowing that I will be on the road home in about 2 WEEKS!

In the process of trying to use up all of my food before I leave, I found some dried currants. What else is there to do with currants, besides make scones!!! I forgot how happy it makes me to bake; I should remember not to go so long without it.

Cream Scones with Currants and Pecans

adapted from a recipe from foodnetwork.com

Ingredients

  • 1 3/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
  • 2 1/2 teaspooons baking powder
  • 3 tablespoons sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
  • 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes and refrigerated
  • 2 teaspoons finely grated orange zest
  • 1/4 cup dried currants
  • 1/4 cup chopped pecans
  • 1 large egg
  • 4 to 5 tablespoons heavy cream or half-and-half

Directions

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt. Add the butter and work it into the flour mixture with your fingers or a pastry blender, until it resembles a coarse meal. Stir in zest, currants, and pecans.

In a small bowl, beat the egg and 4 tablespoons of the cream together with a fork. Add to the flour mixture and mix with your hands until the dough just comes together. (If the dough seems dry add the extra tablespoon of cream.) Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface. Pat the dough into a 6-inch round about 1-inch thick. Cut into 8 equal sized wedges. Space the scones evenly on the prepared baking sheet. Bake until golden brown, about 12 to 15 minutes.


No comments: